It’s so easy to just head to Parkway Place Mall or BridgeStreet and miss some of Huntsville’s special places. And, if you’re a grandparent wanting some suggestions for entertaining grandchildren, maybe these possibilities will interest you.
The U.S. Space and Rocket Center is a “given,” but you have most likely already visited it. If not, then head there ASAP. The exhibits, games and rides are so well done, and don’t forget the IMAX movie.
- Huntsville Botanical Gardens — There are special events happening at the Gardens throughout the year — much more than just the Galaxy of Lights at Christmas time. Check the website and plan your visit.
2. Hays Nature Preserve — Great hiking and biking trails plus a large playground are perfect for families to explore together. It’s free!
3. Monte Sano State Park — There’s an entry fee, but you’re sure to find shade and cooler temperatures when you head up the mountain. Hike, bike and camp overnight.
- Huntsville Museum of Art — What a great educational section they have for children! LINE, SHAPE, COLOR and TEXTURE — let the kids explore and do the hands-on activities that are provided. If you get hungry while you’re visiting, just head down to the Plaza Level to Pane e Vino for kid-pleasing pizza. The smells will drive you crazy.
2. EarlyWorks Children’s History Museum— If the weather is too hot outside, then EarlyWorks is a great place to spend several hours, learn and be thoroughly entertained.
3. Southern Adventures — Are your kids or grandkids older and active? Southern Adventures is both a water park, and an arcade and an amusement park.
Have a good time finding something new to enjoy in Huntsville, AL.